Two people reached out to me recently and said that they missed my blogs. That was so kind and unexpected. And it was just the push I needed to sit down and work on this again. One person even asked me if I was ok since I haven’t written in quite some time. I’m ok. It’s just that every time I sit down to write, I just rage against humanity and turn into the worst, snarkiest version of myself. My personality is a combination of Cam and Gloria from Modern Family and Beth Dutton from Yellowstone. Anyhow, since the last time I wrote, my husband and I have both had birthdays and we’re settled into our middle age by spending our Saturdays at Costco and going to bed by 9:30 pm on the weekends. It’s not a bad life…
A couple of weeks ago, someone asked me if I spent a lot on makeup and if I did all my shopping at Sephora. I love beauty products and I rarely go to Sephora. Ulta has a better points system and they have both affordable and prestige brands. I think drugstore/affordable makeup has come a long way in the past few years. I use a lot of less expensive products everyday and recommend them to my friends all the time. Here’s a list of my favorites:
- Essence Lash Princess False Lash Mascara: I saw this on TikTok and wrote it off immediately. But then the sales girl at Ulta said it was amazing so I got it. At $4.99, you can’t beat the price. And someone really did ask me if I had false lashes on! I hate mascaras with the rubber wands and this wand is perfect. I plan on purchasing the waterproof version for my stepdaughter’s wedding day as I know I’ll shed some tears.
- Ulta Too Cheeky Lip & Cheek Color Stick: I was against cream blush for a long time, especially with my oily skin. But then I decided to try it and ended up liking it. I got the color Close Up and I like it. It’s a little shimmery but not bad, especially if you put some powder over it. It’s $10.00 but Ulta is always having some sort of deal with their brand so you can probably get some deal on it.
- Milani Eye Primer: I wrote about this in one of my first blog posts and I still use this everyday, even if I’m not wearing eye makeup. This is anywhere from $6-8, depending on where you get it. I tell everyone about this. I’ve even gotten it as gifts for friends. It’s not an exciting gift, but it’s a needed gift.
- Morphe M6 Pro Buffer Brush: Makeup brushes can be an investment. When I first started wearing makeup, the only brands that sold brushes were prestige brands like MAC. I have had one of my MAC eyeliner brushes for 10 years. They’re that good, but it’s not always budget friendly to spend $30-50 on a makeup brush. I needed a new foundation brush and got this one and LOVE it. At only $15, it’s way more budget friendly and it really helps me blend makeup well.
- NYX Professional Makeup Suede Matte Lipliner: I’m a firm believer in a good lipliner. I also believe that expensive lipliners aren’t worth it. This is only $4.00 and it works really well. It’s really smooth, doesn’t pull on your lips, and it lasts a long time. I have the color Cannes and use it nearly everyday.
- L’Oreal Lash Primer: Want your mascara to look better? Use a primer. Mascara and primer needs to be replaced every 6-8 weeks so using an inexpensive primer is just smarter. This goes on white, which seems weird, but you cover it up with mascara. Just go this.
- The Ordinary High Adherence Silicone Primer: I love this stuff. I’ve tried expensive primers, cheap primers, and this is by far my favorite. Not every Ulta store carries this so you may have to order it online but it’s worth it. It’s only $4.90 so just order two. This helps my makeup go one smoother and smoothes out a lot of the texture in my skin. P.S. The Ordinary is 23% the entire month of November! Go stock up!
- Maybelline Super Stay Ink Crayon: This is like a lipstick and liner in one product. I got this for a trip and liked it so much I got it in another color. I have Change is Good and Enjoy the View. You can use this with a lipstick or just on it’s own.
Those are just a few of the affordable makeup products I like. Some products are really worth the splurge, but these do the job without the expense. Then you can have more money for other things, like new clothes or shoes. Or you can be responsible and pay off your student loan or something. That’s not as fun but probably better off in the long run.
Other than purchasing makeup, the last few weeks have been BUSY. Halloween weekend, we went to Iowa for my stepdaughter’s State Cross Country Meet. While we were there, we saw friends and went to my other stepdaughter’s house. I had fun playing with my two year old granddaughter and seeing my friends. I hadn’t seen my college roommate since March 14 2020- you know, when the world crashed. I’m sure now that she and I have been reunited, the world will right itself just in time for Christmas. This weekend, I went to Holiday House in Little Rock with my neighborhood friends. Yesterday, James ran the Hot Springs Summit to Summit Half Marathon. Next weekend, our friends Tiffany and her husband, Luke, are visiting. The boys are running the Little Rock marathon while they are here. After that, it’s Thanksgiving and officially the Christmas season! I’m spending Thanksgiving day cleaning and Christmas decorating as I am flying up to Iowa the next day. I love the Christmas season so much and I’m so glad I get to spend Thanksgiving weekend with my family. The next weekend, my husband will make the long drive up to Iowa so we can see some family and then we’ll travel back home together. We have a lot to look forward to but for tonight, I’m just looking forward to watching Yellowstone in an hour!
** I am not compensated for this post. All opinion are my own…duh**